10 to 28 November 2020
Palace Electric Canberra
The British Film Festival will open on 10 November with a riotous reimagining of Noël Coward’s classic comedy Blithe Spirit starring Dan Stevens, Isla Fisher, Dame Judi Dench and Leslie Mann.
The festival features 22 films from powerful true stories and literary adaptations to biographies, comedies and documentaries – tickets to the 2020 festival are now on sale.
Highlights of this year’s festival include:
- Ammonite – From writer/director Francis Lee. Set in 1840s England and starring Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan. The story of a palaeontology pioneer and a young woman and the story of their forbidden love.
- Misbehaviour – Keira Knightley and Jessie Buckley star in this film about true story feminist protestors who disrupted the Miss World beauty competition in London in 1970.
- Six Minutes To Midnight – A discovery at a school for the daughters of the Nazi elite leads to a series of deadly events. Starring Eddie Izzard and Dame Judi Dench.
- The Nest – Dramatic thriller starring Jude Law and Carrie Coon. Life for a British entrepreneur and his family begin to take a twisted turn after moving to an English country manor.
- Summerland – A romantic drama set in World War II starring Gemma Arterton as an English woman who opens her heart to an evacuee in a story of love and friendship.
Retrospective screenings, all in 4K restoration, include The Elephant Man and Flash Gordon, both celebrating their 40th anniversary.
- Information: https://britishfilmfestival.com.au
- Preview the festival at https://scenestr.com.au/movies-and-tv/british-film-festival-2020-first-highlights-20201008