Songs from a Stolen Senate
Presented by the Griffyn Ensemble and Belco Arts
2pm & 7pm Saturday 13 March 2021
Belconnen Arts Centre
Songs from a Stolen Senate is the beginning of a series from The Griffyn Ensemble that challenges how Australian identity had been forged since European settlement.
In this instalment, First Nations composers from across the country have taken parliamentary voices and reworked them into song and storytelling from their Indigenous perspective.
Eight of Australia’s most prolific First Nation musicians from a diverse genres and backgrounds join The Griffyns in this work:
- Aranda country music icon Warren Williams
- inspirational Noongar singer-songwriters Gina Williams and Guy Ghouse
- Norah Bagiri from Mua Island in the Torres Strait
- Ngunnawal custodian Richie Allan
- Larrakia hip-hop artist Jimblah
- Canberra-based Christopher Sainsbury from the Dharug Nation
- Yuin composer Brenda Gifford.
From Stolen Generations to climate politics, Songs from a Stolen Senate offers different perspectives of our national past and the Australian parliament.
- $45 Adult
- $35 Concession
- Suitable for all ages
- Details: https://www.belcoarts.com.au/songs
COVID seating applies: One empty seat will be left between separate bookings to aid in social distancing. Tickets purchased in the same booking will be seated together.
Image courtesy Belconnen Arts Centre