Tour one of the five- concert 2021 series
Llewelyn Hall, ANU School of Music
Monday 15 March 2021
Selby and Friends will present a year of piano trios in 2021. The first concert features Franz Schubert and three important 20th century composers:, Ernest Block, Joaquin Turina and Dmitri Shostakovich.
The repertoire is an offering of Romantic and neo‐Romantic treats with the tour visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra, Turramurra and the Southern Highlands.
The first half of the concert presents three powerful miniatures, each a fascinating glimpse of how three important composers of the first half of the 20th Century conceived the piano trio.
All composed within 19 years of each other and from vastly different European cultures, they contrast and complement the highly developed piano trio structure produced by Schubert 100 years earlier, at the end of the Classical Era and on the cusp of the Romantic.
Schubert’s Piano Trio No.1 in B-flat major, Op.99 D. 898, (1827/28) is the longer work for the second half of the performance.
Due to COVID‐19 travel restrictions between states, violinist Susie Park will replace Natsuko Yoshimoto for Exotic Strudel.
Tour 1 Dates and Venues:
- 7 March ‐ Adelaide 2.30pm Elder Hall, University of Adelaide
- 9 March ‐ Sydney 7pm City Recital Hall, Angel Place
- 11 March ‐ Melbourne 7.30pm Methodist Ladies’ College, Kew
- 13 March ‐ Southern Highlands 5pm Chevalier College, Bowral
- 14 March ‐ Turramurra 2.15pm Turramurra Uniting Church
- 15 March ‐ Canberra 7.30pm Llewellyn Hall, ANU
Information and bookings for season tickets at www.selbyandfriends.com.au or call 1300 511 099. Single tickets through Ticketek.